How weird it feels to type that headline for this post. It is not a natural thing to stop and share what I believe is awesome about myself, but I loved this challenge set by Dorothy at Singular Insanity.
It also happened to tie in nicely with where my head was already for this week’s grateful. I found myself thinking on Monday how grateful I was that I grew up believing I could do anything I wanted in life. I know that is not something to be taken for granted. So many kids grow up without ever hearing that others believe in them, they feel limited by their parents or what teachers say to them, perhaps by virtue of where they were born or what they did not have.
I did not grow up with money (but was always around others who had plenty). I lost my father very young. I did not have a family history of over-achievers. Still, I was always told that I was smart and strong and that I could do or be anything I could dream of. That is the legacy I want to pass on to my girls and I am grateful that others always shared their confidence in me so that I could draw on that when I did not believe I could do anything I dreamed of.
So that brings me to Dorothy’s challenge and sharing 30 things I know and love about myself – what makes me me, what makes me enough, what makes me awesome. In no particular order -
1. I am compassionate
2. I am empathetic – almost to a fault where I feel drained emotionally as I listen, relate to and support others
3. I am authentically me – I don’t have the energy or desire to be something I am not so stay true to what I believe and who I am
4. I give great hugs to my kids – I know in my heart that they feel safe and loved in my arms and that this is where they come when they are fragile or sad or lonely
5. I bake the most awesome brownies – and continue to do so for others even after giving up sugar for my mental health
6. I am tone deaf but continue to sing loud and proud
7. I am a world traveller
8. I am sensitive
9. I am always working at being the best I can be
10. I can write
11. I love to learn
12. I learned to drive at 30-31 years old while pregnant with my first child – try learning hill starts in a manual while a baby is kicking to get out
14. I stand up for others
15. I believe in total equality regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, location, education, class, or any other factor others may look upon to divide us. If we are human then we are all the same imperfect beings and deserve the same opportunities in life
16. I am grateful and that makes me whole
17. I am organised and that keeps me sane
18. I am a mother
19. I am open
20. I am a dreamer
21. I am always trying
22. I am evolving
23. I love food and eat for pleasure
24. I love to read and often have up to 5 books on the go and would be happy on a desert island with an unlimited supply of books
25. I savour the cup of coffee my husband brings me each morning in bed (where I sit and read before getting up). He does not buy me presents or flowers, but this gesture alone reassures me of his love.
26. I have only ever had one love in my life-soon to celebrate 18 years together, not easy but under it all I married my best friend and I am blessed
27. I am an awesome brainstormer – get things going and my brain is on fire
28. I am imperfect
29. I am 40 years old and comfortable with aging – I hope to never dye my hair or feel the urge to hide my age. I am proud of my 40 years and hope the next 40 are kind to me
30. I love fresh starts
I would love it if you joined in with Dorothy’s challenge, but if not please pause and share in the comments what makes you awesome, what you love about yourself (be it 1 thing or 10 I want to hear it today!).
What is your “own special light”?
Find your simple,
Linking up with Dorothy for things I know and Bron for 52 weeks of grateful – my first ever double linky!