I seemed to have no trouble coming up with 30 things I loved about myself and my life so thought I would follow Lisa at Becoming Mum‘s lead (she did this for her husband) and use this week’s gratitude to talk about my husband. On Sunday we will celebrate 13 years of marriage (which will be closely followed by our other anniversary in December when we celebrate 18 years together). I am grateful to have him in my life and I figure if anyone is deserving of a public love letter of sorts it is him…
To my husband on our 13th anniversary – all that I love about you and am grateful for – a list that I am sure will grow over the next 13 years!
1. You are the greatest example of patience I know – thank you for refusing to change for me
2. You work tirelessly for our family – thank you for giving me so many years at home with our girls, even when you would have loved to find something new to do. I will always treasure your sacrifice so that we could have this time.
3. You are so smart – always teaching us about science, nature, history, engineering (all the stuff I skipped at school and need to learn alongside the girls)
4. You are smart, but humble enough to come to me when you can’t get the last answers in the Guardian crossword
5. You share my love of books and words – so you celebrate when you DO get the whole crossword in record time (reminds me of my dad), listen when I read aloud from books I love, understand when I cry re-reading my favourites, show me reviews of books you think I will love.
6. You are the guy that people can’t find a bad word to say about – to me that says everything about you.
7. You push me to be my best
8. You love me when I am at my worst
9. You are my alarm clock on weekdays and are rewarded with weekend lie ins
10. You are the keeper of memories – sharing our stories, making our photo albums, taking so many trips down memory lane that the past stays alive for all of us for so long
11. You help friends
12. You are generous to a fault
13. You have a green thumb and forgive me when I have killed your plants
14. You are an amazing traveller – pushing me out of my comfort zone, up windy mountain roads, stop overs, side trips and treks to see feats of engineering. So much better than sitting around reading a book and relaxing.
15. You know when to save money and when to splurge – as you say “life is too short to drink crappy beer and wine”
16. You play with my hair when I ask
17. You refuse to kill all the creatures that freak me out. I am sure each of them appreciates you calmly asking me to get a container for you to collect them and set them free outside all the while I am screaming “just kill it”.
18. You have excellent taste in women ; )
19. You are so wonderful raising 2 girls in spite of having no sisters and no experience – letting them put clips in your hair, teaching them cricket and gardening, watching their plays and showing them your funky dance moves. You make them smile and laugh and grow.
20. You are an amazing cook – thank you for so many wonderful meals. Apart from our poverty soup* in Bangkok they have all been winners
21. You bring me coffee in bed
22. You change the towels over to fresh ones
23. You make the phone calls when I can’t
24. You stand your ground
25. You write the best birthday / anniversary / Mother’s Day / Valentine’s cards and I treasure every one I have saved
26. You are open and honest with me
27. You are musical
28. You are my opposite and while frustrating at times, it is the best thing
29. You believe in me, in us and in our family
What are you grateful for this week?
Find your simple,
*When we started out in Thailand we had very little money and one night we had only a few things left in the fridge – a cucumber, ketchup, and a jar of Marmite. My husband made a soup out of that and proceeded to eat several bites before accepting it was vile. I managed one spoonful, but mostly we got a wonderful story to tell and laugh at. We always remember the times at the start when we had so little, but loved each other so much. We’ll always have “cucumber soup”.